Tips When Traveling to Foreign Countries for The First Time
Traveling to a foreign country is always exciting. It can be full of wonderment and awe, but it is sometimes scary as well.
As soon as you walk out the door of the airport or train station, you are in a new world with its own customs, different sights and sounds, foreign people, languages and currency. If you are traveling to a foreign country for the first time, here are a few tips to help you prepare and keep you from getting lost:
1. Find out what types of money they use in the foreign countries you will be visiting and how it works.
– This seems simple enough but I thought that at least it needed mentioning as this is something very important to know and easy to forget.
– I personally would only exchange money at the airport and never in a street so as not to be tricked by anyone for bad exchange rates, plus I’d much rather use the ATM’s instead. I think checking with your bank is a good idea if their machines will accept foreign charges or not as well as how much money you will be able to withdraw.
2. When going out of the airport, find out where the taxi stands are and which one is the correct one for your destination as well as what it should cost.
– Ensure that your taxi driver understands where exactly you need to be going so as to avoid any misunderstandings or arguments. Also find out how much money you should pay in advance so as not to have any disagreements with your driver later on.
– Keep a map handy just in case the taxi’s driving is a bit much for you and you’d like to know what landmarks you are passing by.
3. Learn how to say the basic phrases in the language of the country you will be visiting.
– Even if you don’t end up using them, it’s always good to know how to say hello, goodbye, please and thank you just in case.
4. If your cellphone plan includes international service, make sure to contact your carrier and find out what the rates are for using your phone in the foreign country.
– This will help you avoid any outrageous phone bills when you get home.
5. Make copies of important documents such as your passport, driver’s license, and credit cards just in case they are stolen or lost while you are away.
– Leave one copy with a trusted friend or family member and keep the other in a safe place like your hotel room.
6. Dress appropriately for the climate of the foreign country you will be visiting.
– This is especially important if you are not used to the weather there. For example, if you are going to a country that is warm all year round, pack light clothes and vice versa.
7. Research your destination country ahead of time.
– This will help you to be better prepared for what to expect.
8. Make a list of things you need to pack and try to stick to it as best as possible.
– This will help to avoid overpacking and having to lug around a heavy suitcase.
9. If you are traveling with children, make sure to pack enough diapers, wipes, and snacks for the duration of your trip.
– You never know when they might need them and it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
10. Have fun and enjoy your trip!
– This is the most important thing of all! Traveling to a foreign country can be stressful but it’s also an amazing experience. So relax, take everything in stride, and enjoy yourself!
I hope these tips will help make your first time traveling to a foreign country a bit less daunting. Enjoy your adventure!…